Sunday 20 September 2009

Dave Chappelle: COME BACK. PURLEEEEEZ!!


It was a repeat showing of Dave Chappelle's Washington DC gig, Killing Me Softly' (HBO) which set off my night of nostalgia for the comic stylings of Sir Chappelle. A quick scan through TV listings at 12.30am on Paramount UK, and there she was- a rare juicy morsel of Chappelle humour, which I didn't have to download, stream, listen on audio or pull out on DVD. Success!

I love Dave, and a quick google or youtube search will show I'm not alone. Even on twitter, one chap @Dave_Chapelle is keeping the spirit alive by tweeting vid clips (bless his cotton socks).

This led to spontaneous laughter at my recollection of favourite skits steeped in Chappelle-esque humour, from the culturally and socially astute, to the sublimely ridiculous (Tupac skit 'I wrote this song a long time ago, a real long time ago; way before Slim Shady was in demand, way before we dropped buloni on Afghanistan; I wrote this song in '94'; the blind White supremacist Clayton Bigsby (whose Black) and questionable teachings on Sesame Street 'Get it together Grouch!').

Chappelle is a veritable comedic legend to anyone who appreciates comedy, let alone African-Americans. I'm a Black Briton, and he's a legend to me. To my brother, too. Chappelle humour is outlandish and equally recognisable because of his humane approach and intimate delivery- you laugh through the revelation of what Dave's saying, and double over at the truth suddenly seen within it.

A Huffington Post piece I just read summed it up: "I find myself every now and then longing for at least 5 or 6 minutes a week I would receive a good laugh at life's absurdities. Damn, I miss Dave Chappelle".

His 2004 Charlie Rose- a Conversation with Dave Chappelle interview, which I recommend along with his appearance on Oprah, will help to understand the man and his comedy a little better too.

Go on. Get your 5 minute fill of Dave Chappelle. You'll feel better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to T.A.MG