Tuesday 26 January 2010

AO Quarter Finals: Rafa Knees Out in Oz

Ugh. It's been over 10 hours since the Nadal vs Murray quarter final, since Murray led 6-3, 7-6, 3-0 in a thrilling dual. And still Nadal's early withdrawal still occupies my thoughts. It's those pesky knees again, children.

As a tennis fan and a rank n file obsessive, I felt the tear between common sense and emotional sense to proceedings on Rod Laver.
1) Murray deserves due credit. Most news sources from Espn, The Herald and Times Online concur that the standard of play and shot making was consistently incredible. From both, in fact. The boy earned his Semi's place and should feel confident about getting to that final and 'taking' his first GS title: Muzza isn't in a mood to wait any longer.

But, most nagging, is the emotional response:
2) Rafito, noooo!! (I won't miss that unfortunate Nike orange top paired with the gold-check shorts though. Confused.com. Please change. Block bright colours and dynamic prints welcome; just not together!)

After consuming my fair share of post press conferences, and various opinions, concern was quick to follow:
3) What's really wrong with Rafa and how will this impact on the season(s) to come? 

In his press conference, Nadal explained he was experiencing pain from late on in the second set. Knowing he couldn't mount a come back, i.e. go to 5 sets, and remembering the ill effects of playing through pain that started from the ATP Rotterdam event last year, the prudent thing was to retire:


Q. Could you let us know what the condition is, what the latest story is with the knee. It's very unusual for you to stop during a match.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, well, is not a lot of history because was during the match. Was in the end of the second set in one drop. And I feeled similar thing to what I had last year.
And, yes, after that I can't go down after that, no? So was impossible to win the match. When I have the chance to play, I never retired. Anyway, like I know I going to lose like I did in Rotterdam like last year. I say sorry to Andy for that.
I felt pain still there without no one minimum chance to do nothing, the same time is hard for me be five more games there without try nothing, no? So I don't know if I still playing can go worst or something. So I said, well, no repeat the same mistake like I had last year. I go to the limit, but not cross the limit, no?


We have to hope the prognosis is no worse, so Rafa is back in the mix for the season. But also that Team Nadal is pro-actively finding ways to lighten Rafa's load in training and his play - whether they choose to openly acknowledge it or not.

The standard response when asked about such changes has been prickly:


Q. Are there any changes you're going to make to your training style or your playing style?
RAFAEL NADAL: Don't start, guys, with these questions right now. I think is not the right moment. I think I changed the style to play. If you see my matches 2005 or 2004, 2006, I run a lot compared to now, no?


On one hand, Rafa is right- that old message to take a more aggressive approach is clearly kicking in. He's not running around following the dictates of an opponents play as much.

But there remains big questions about 'what else' he can do to lighten his load, to shorten points, to save a little for the moments when needed, in the hope his body can endure the 11-month tour season. Only he and his team can answer that.

My own question is this: does Rafa believe he can only play in the manner he does to have the confidence to compete at the highest level? He might not know. History so far has shown us that Nadal continually improves- he's a whole lot more than a gutsy big armed road runner.
An athlete at the height of any sporting discipline will understand exactly what, why and how they perform as they do. They also possess more control. Because of this, they are in the rarefied position of being able to adapt to injury and age, utilising their experience, fitness and calm in key moments to compete like winners...in a modified way.

With some careful tweaking, practice and belief, Nadal too can find a way to adjust to his new reality, and possibly gain a new edge.


(c) Lucas Dawson/Getty Images (top) and PAUL CROCK/AFP/Getty Images (above)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to T.A.MG