Wednesday 6 January 2010

Snowing Flakes and Skis




The Met Office must be very proud of itself- for ONCE their weather predictions for the UK came true. Bang on point, in fact. Last night, all across the UK temperatures dropped below 0 and by 9pm in London and the South little white flakes started to fall. It started so gently, barely noticeable. Watching it fall from the window makes you feel all cosy and warm (*helps being inside for the that, truth be told*).

Usually, the UK -save a village or two that ends up looking like Charmonix- tends to get the kind of snow that turns slushy and icy quickly. But this time round, it's the soft powdery kind that crunches underfoot aka perfect for SNOW MEN and SNOW BALLS!

So for kids and those 'working from home' (oh-kay...), the snow's not bad at all. A little colder, but hey- burn some extra fossil fuels and va bene.
The problem comes with having to go out in the stuff. Yeah: 'the stuff'. Out there on the pavements, in trodden down, second hand compacted snow, the crunchy stuff becomes little white sheets to death!



Exageration aside, how you feel about snow does depend on what you have to do in it.

Sky News showed a woman on skis in the city centre, waiting for a green light to crossover. She's a doctor.

Meanwhile, I trekked out for a job interview (call me!) and by the final stretch of road coming back home, my feet were frozen and my gloved fingers tingling.

At that point I remembered how I really felt about snow as a child- fun for the short term, but after half an hour (neck-high in the snow man build) I'd be knocking on the door asking my Mum for a hot chocolate and blanket: "For-get this!" Even then, I knew I was more of a sun 'n' sea breeze kinda gal.


Still, it is beatiful to look at...for now



No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to T.A.MG