Friday 26 February 2010

To Go, But Where to Go? That is the question...




When I first started blogging, the intention was 'Just write what you feel like. You're in between jobs, may as well amuse yourself somehow' which was quite true. I have a lot to say, and a lot I'm curious about, hence material is never short in supply! But after some difficult personal times, and a period in the job seeking wilderness, lifestyle blogs have given me genuine food for thought about the potential for where I can go next. 

Initially, I worked in film, tenaciously embroiling myself in London's independent  film scene as a short films producer. It was fun and interesting to network: some people are gems and pretty inspirational in terms of goals and what they had achieved; others were glory seeking tools who I would loathe running into at some ICA, Southbank or BFI event. It's hard work, and harder still to pursue full-time. I think I realised this come the end of 2008 when- honestly- I had enough. Enough of inputting my energies and seeing little progress, enough of being close but not close enough, enough of tactless directors, enough of not being happy. 

When something isn't working, you change it. 

In my heart of hearts, I knew the change needed wasn't just job industries. It was, and is, my life. I'm tired of London- how many people really say that? Wonderful though it is, this is my home and one thing I know from living outside the city and the country years ago, is London means more to me than being here does. If you're a Londoner, you take that with you like an ingrained thread running right through. 

The change was also the need to be challenged, to feel I am growing personally. In the past year or so, things have stagnated: dating, my writing, my health kick, even my friendships. My best friend lives in Leeds, my other amigos are a disparate collection scattered mostly in London, a few around Europe and Middle East. My family I'll always be tight with, no matter where we are. So what was keeping me here? 

Simple: it's me. Although I'm set on pursuing roles within Sports, currently targeting Communication roles, I also know I seriously want the adventures which come with being a foreigner abroad. I don't think you can truly know yourself until you're put to the test- one such test is the travails of living and working in another country. It's what my parents, uncle and cousins have done and countless friends and people I know relocating from here to there for work and opportunity. 

My initial go-to country was Spain, but actually, it could be anywhere. There's a lot to think about and choices to narrow down based on my motivations. The Winter Olympics has brought Canada to my attention- maybe Vancouver or Toronto? All of these snow sports and snow nations are also now making me think of the Nordic countries. Expensive as they are, quality of life is high and an outdoors lifestyle is encouraged. That is what is exciting by some of the Norwegian expat blogs like Return to Norway, Katie Meets Norway and My Little Norway. Maybe a cold climate isn't for me, but the point is to think outside the box and the staleness of existing thoughts. 

To go, but where to go? Practicalities must come first this year, and I have some key commitments. What I am doing, is preparing myself for opportunities.

1. Free the mind- let go of outdated or old plans which no longer work. Allow new goals to form
2. Languages- Spanish and French are the ones I'll focus on. Spoken widely in most sports, and most parts of the world. Classes start on Saturday.
3. Get Bridesmaid Fit- my mates CJ and D are getting married next March, and I'm one of the bridesmaid. This means photos for life, this means I must be up to par and in vintage condition!
4. Make the most of my time- even when working a budget and not hitting up bars, there's more I can get out of my time. I can make sure I do that.
5. Plan a course of MA study in a travels-well trade (Wilkommen, PR/Marketing)

I still want this blog to be based around Sport, especially the events I attend and can brief about obtaining cheap tickets. The detour is just for me. It came into my head and I wanted to mark it whilst the clarity of thought burned bright.


...And in a VWO-related story, Canada's Womens Ice Hockey team took the gold today. Well done, ladies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to T.A.MG